So I in my infinite wisdom last Sunday, I decided to make a new frock. I have been wanting to make a Spanish half skirt dress for a while now (since my wonderful Laurel rocks it so well... actually she could wear a hessian sack and make it look regal, but I digress) and I was going to make one for Festival a couple of years back. Obviously, I never got around to it.
So, as I said, Sunday I wanted a new frock for the local annual Baronial 'do'. Countess L gave me some wonderful ideas and I came up with the threshing corn lass from "Authentic Everyday Dress of the Renaissance" by Christoph Weiditz.
Sunday night - checked stash and came up with some good colour cominations in linen.
Monday - day: the amazingly generous Countess L helped me pattern a bodice. I broke one of her amazingly sterdy pins - not even Acacia has done that... Night: make bodice, otherwise I'd forget what I'd need to tweek from toile to actual garment.
Tuesday - cut out and put together underskirt. Had to piece some of it because apparently 2.5 metres isn't enough for a petticoat. Hemmed petticoat.
Wednesday - Finished bodice. Started to add lacing rings.
Thursday - Finished lacing rings. Drafted, cut out and made sleeves. Cut out and cartridge pleated skirt. Attached both to bodice. Hemmed sleeves.
Friday - Last minute meeting at work. While on the train, hemmed a strip of white linen for headwear. Once home, I fingerloop braided some lacing. Hemmed skirt.
Believe it or not, I got it to 'lock-up stage'. The skirt and sleeve seams are unfinished and I've yet to attach the guarding around the bodice, sleeves and skirt (that will be in blue). I really need to make a proper Spanish chemise for it and work on the headgear too but, all in all, I'm rather pleased with the result.
So, as I said, Sunday I wanted a new frock for the local annual Baronial 'do'. Countess L gave me some wonderful ideas and I came up with the threshing corn lass from "Authentic Everyday Dress of the Renaissance" by Christoph Weiditz.
Threshing Corn (1529) by Christoph Weiditz,
"Authentic Everyday Dress of the Renaissance", Dover Publications, 1994.
The rest of my week went as follows:Sunday night - checked stash and came up with some good colour cominations in linen.
Monday - day: the amazingly generous Countess L helped me pattern a bodice. I broke one of her amazingly sterdy pins - not even Acacia has done that... Night: make bodice, otherwise I'd forget what I'd need to tweek from toile to actual garment.
Tuesday - cut out and put together underskirt. Had to piece some of it because apparently 2.5 metres isn't enough for a petticoat. Hemmed petticoat.
Wednesday - Finished bodice. Started to add lacing rings.
Thursday - Finished lacing rings. Drafted, cut out and made sleeves. Cut out and cartridge pleated skirt. Attached both to bodice. Hemmed sleeves.
Friday - Last minute meeting at work. While on the train, hemmed a strip of white linen for headwear. Once home, I fingerloop braided some lacing. Hemmed skirt.
Believe it or not, I got it to 'lock-up stage'. The skirt and sleeve seams are unfinished and I've yet to attach the guarding around the bodice, sleeves and skirt (that will be in blue). I really need to make a proper Spanish chemise for it and work on the headgear too but, all in all, I'm rather pleased with the result.
Me with Dr Nick (left). Photo taken by Rachel Vess.


Comments
Post a Comment