It's been a little while, but I've not been idle. At the moment, I'm working on an English Fitted Gown (as the lasses who penned 'The Tudor Tailor' call it) for Festival. I've already scratched an underskirt and a chemise off the To Do For Festival list, but there is still another pair of hose, the Spanish half dress with contrasting underskirt, an overgown for AutumnHeart and, if I have time, another kirtle in blue linen.
Festival countdown = 10 weeks.
So, back to the 'gown'. I'm making it in brown marle felted wool, with pink linen/cotton lining and raw silk interlining (interlining in the bodice only). The bodice is put together and attached to the skirt and I'm currently working on the sleeves. Not bad since I started it on Saturday - it helps that my Laurel had already helped me with the pattern. Though, I still have to work out how I'm going to finish the front closure and neckline.
Below are some period pics of what I hope the end product will look like. The first two pictures are taken from Civitates Orbis Terrarum, a series of city maps that was first published in 1572. Both of them are from the map showing Nonesuch Palace. The third one is a sketch by Lucas de Heere. I have a colour version of this somewhere and I'll upload that when I remember.
Festival countdown = 10 weeks.
So, back to the 'gown'. I'm making it in brown marle felted wool, with pink linen/cotton lining and raw silk interlining (interlining in the bodice only). The bodice is put together and attached to the skirt and I'm currently working on the sleeves. Not bad since I started it on Saturday - it helps that my Laurel had already helped me with the pattern. Though, I still have to work out how I'm going to finish the front closure and neckline.
Below are some period pics of what I hope the end product will look like. The first two pictures are taken from Civitates Orbis Terrarum, a series of city maps that was first published in 1572. Both of them are from the map showing Nonesuch Palace. The third one is a sketch by Lucas de Heere. I have a colour version of this somewhere and I'll upload that when I remember.
English Women by Lucas de Heere, 1570.



Comments
Post a Comment