While not a piece of garb per se, my next project will be a pavilion. There's still fabric, thread and a sewing machine involved, therefore the working out all goes here but it's all in MUCH greater proportions!
So, after an exhaustive search on teh interwebz (I looked at two, yes two, sites) I came up with pretty much the same design that I had in my head in the first place - a bog standard bell tent, the likes of which that were popular for centuries, like this one, this one and, most importantly to continue the whole Elizabethan thing, this one.
I then got some graph paper and proceeded to try to make a scale version of what I want my pav to look like. This is version 1:

It's a little shabby from traveling home from work, but as you can plainly see, with the contrasting kitty in the background, is how short and squat the whole thing looks. It doesn't quite look right. There's too much wall and not enough roof. I tried folding the legnth of the walls down but all it did was make it look shorter. So, I took out a couple of walls:

The roof looks right now, but there's not enough footprint for my bed.
After much um-ing and ah-ing, Baggy T. came up with the grand and perfectly logical solution of making the base larger without adding to the 'shoulder' width or roof height.
Et viola (sans helpful kitty):

And to make sure my bed will fit, I took the standard measurement for a king single, cut it out and put it on a trace out of the model footprint (the dot in the middle is where the centre pole will be):

I'm a little worried about my bed being about mid-thigh height and the slope of the walls though. Maybe this could be combated by adding a few extra centimetres to each side seam (and consequently, each roof base), but I don't want to throw out the dimensions of what I've already got.
Suggestions, comments, ideas anyone?
So, after an exhaustive search on teh interwebz (I looked at two, yes two, sites) I came up with pretty much the same design that I had in my head in the first place - a bog standard bell tent, the likes of which that were popular for centuries, like this one, this one and, most importantly to continue the whole Elizabethan thing, this one.
I then got some graph paper and proceeded to try to make a scale version of what I want my pav to look like. This is version 1:

It's a little shabby from traveling home from work, but as you can plainly see, with the contrasting kitty in the background, is how short and squat the whole thing looks. It doesn't quite look right. There's too much wall and not enough roof. I tried folding the legnth of the walls down but all it did was make it look shorter. So, I took out a couple of walls:

The roof looks right now, but there's not enough footprint for my bed.
After much um-ing and ah-ing, Baggy T. came up with the grand and perfectly logical solution of making the base larger without adding to the 'shoulder' width or roof height.
Et viola (sans helpful kitty):

And to make sure my bed will fit, I took the standard measurement for a king single, cut it out and put it on a trace out of the model footprint (the dot in the middle is where the centre pole will be):

I'm a little worried about my bed being about mid-thigh height and the slope of the walls though. Maybe this could be combated by adding a few extra centimetres to each side seam (and consequently, each roof base), but I don't want to throw out the dimensions of what I've already got.
Suggestions, comments, ideas anyone?
Comments
Post a Comment